Make Your Own Pumpkin Pie Spice: Recipe
When pumpkin-spiced recipes and goodies start to show up, you know it’s Autumn. And nothing beats the warm, cozy and comforting aroma of a pumpkin pie, especially during the fall season. And while you can buy pumpkin pie spice off the shelf, making your own blend is not only cost-effective, but it also allows you to customize the flavor to your liking. I’ve included my secret ingredient in this blend (ground Cumin). This recipe takes only 5 minutes, so why not try your hand at making your own pumpkin pie spice?
- 3 Tablespoons (21g) ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons (5g) ground ginger
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons (4g) ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon (3g) ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon (2g) ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon (2g) ground cumin (optional)
- Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. A table fork will work if you don’t have a whisk handy. Some of the spices can clump, so be sure to whisk them very well.
- Pour the spice mix into an airtight container that seals well. A funnel can help with this.
- Store your spice mix in a cool, dry place. Pumpkin spice mix will usually last for 1-2 years (or until the expiration date of the spices). Although the spices will lose potency over time, so it’s best to get baking while it’s most aromatic and flavorful.
Tips for Creating The Best Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Start with fresh spices: Make sure to use whole spices that are fresh and not past their expiration date. This will ensure that your pumpkin pie spice has the best flavor and aroma.
- Experiment with ratios: Every cook has their own preferred ratio of spices. Don’t be afraid to play around with the ratios to find what works best for you.
- Toast the spices: Toasting the spices before grinding can enhance their flavor and make your pumpkin pie spice more fragrant. Simply place the spices in a dry pan and cook over medium heat for a few minutes, until fragrant.
- Grind the spices: Grind the spices in a spice grinder or using a mortar and pestle for the best results. This will help release the flavors and aromas of the spices.
- Store properly: Store your pumpkin pie spice in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
- Customize to your taste: You can add or subtract spices to suit your personal preferences. For example, if you prefer a sweeter pumpkin pie spice, you can add more cinnamon and nutmeg. If you prefer a spicier blend, add more ginger and allspice.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment: There’s no right or wrong way to make pumpkin pie spice. Have fun experimenting with different spice combinations and ratios until you find the perfect blend for your taste buds.
How to Use Your Pumpkin Pie Spice
Now that you have your own custom blend of pumpkin pie spice, it’s time to put it to use! There are so many creative ways you can use this wonderful spice mix. Here are a few tips on how to incorporate it into your baking:
- Add it to oatmeal or yogurt: For a quick and easy breakfast, add a pinch of pumpkin pie spice to your bowl of oatmeal or a serving of yogurt. It will add a warm, comforting flavor to your morning meal.
- Sprinkle it on roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables, such as carrots, butternut squash, and sweet potatoes, are elevated with a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice. Simply mix the spice with a bit of olive oil and brush it on the vegetables before roasting.
- Mix it into batter for muffins or pancakes: For a seasonal twist on classic baked goods, add a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice to the batter. It will add a touch of autumn flavor to your muffins, pancakes, or waffles.
- Incorporate it into cream cheese frosting: Mix a teaspoon or two of pumpkin pie spice into cream cheese frosting for a seasonal twist on your favorite cupcake or cake.
- Use it in pumpkin pie: Of course, the most obvious use for pumpkin pie spice is in pumpkin pie. Simply mix a teaspoon or two into the pumpkin puree filling for a flavorful and aromatic pie.
With these easy steps, you now have a delicious and aromatic pumpkin pie spice blend that you can use in all your fall baking recipes. Not only will it save you money, but it also gives you the freedom to customize the flavor to your liking. So go ahead, try your hand at making your own pumpkin pie spice and enjoy the taste of autumn in every bite!
Leave a Reply